Saturday, June 7, 2008

Another day in Argentina

At some point I will be taking pictures of the city with my good camera, but I am having to go with a group just for that purpose because it is a safety concern. Unlike some places where you can just take pictures, in Mendoza, theft is the highest crime here, so you have to be very careful.

There are numerous smokers here, and it is throughly impossible to avoid it. I think I am going to have the smoke smell permanently attached to the inside of my nostrils by the time I return home!

In the past few weeks I have have "contracted" an addiction. And that addiction is to Dulce de Leche (what did you think I was going to say?). Is somewhat comparative to caramel back in the states, but not as hard and it tastes much better.

I think if I had to list the top 3 edible items consumed by Argentinians it would be:
1. Mate (Somewhat comparative to strong green tea)
2. Asado (Beef)
3. Dulce de Leche

Speaking of dulce de leche, one of our coordinators asked us if we knew what "alpha whores" were (at least that is what we all thought she said.) What she actually said was alfajores, which in an Argentinian pastry (only found here in Argentina), which is usually 2 or 3 layers of a shortbread cookie with dulce de leche in between the layers and then covered in either chocolate or white chocolate. Mmmm. Ever since I took a bite into one, I have been determining (trying) to figure out how to make them. I have even looked on the Internet, however, there is no recipe for the ones found here in Mendoza. I might have to create one....
The best one to get here is from a place called HAVANNAH, which is like a coffee shop. However they are usually the most expensive (2.5 pesos for 2 layers), I however like the ones from cafe Dün Ken which are also 2.5 pesos, but are much much larger. You decide... I´ll be bringing some home, that´s for sure...along with a vat of Dulce de Leche...

I think one of the coolest things here in Argentina is everyone (really EVERYONE) drinks Mate(dried leaves of yerba mate). This is a cultural thing here. They take a hollowed out gourd or a piece of wood shaped in the form of a vase, a metal straw is inserted into it, which has a strainer at the bottom of it. They pour mate in (relationship to green tea via the holly family), add a small amount of hot water and sugar if they wish, and sip it up through the straw. It is very bad (and rude) to move the straw, as this moves the tea Mate leaves into the straw, which is a bit unpleasant. I hope to later post pictures of all the things mentioned in here, just haven´t thought of it till now.

Hope you have enjoyed my posts thus far.

No comments: